From the Senedd
It was another busy week in the Senedd, as well as attending meetings with residents and dealing with casework. I have also finally found an office in Pontypridd town centre, which is very exciting. I can’t wait to share more news about this with you about it very soon!
Issues raised in the Senedd:
- Weddings: I was contacted by the parents of a couple due to marry next Tuesday as well as a couple from Church Village, asking for my support in securing greater clarity in terms of regulations for indoor weddings. I raised this directly with the Health Minister, and was pleased to see a revision to the rules today. Greater clarity is still needed, but this is welcome first step for couples as well as the wedding industry. (Link: http://www.senedd.tv/Meeting/Clip/ab612ff9-2037-4fab-b1e3-35b0b1e76590?inPoint=03:39:17&outPoint=03:47:40)
- Flooding: I was able to raise the use of flooding twice this week, and the Deputy Minister for Climate Change has offered to meet with me to discuss how we can best learn lessons. I am also trying to ensure that every home that was flooded receive an offer for flood barriers, as not all have received such an offer yet. (Link here: http://www.senedd.tv/en/12309?startPos=5412&l=en and here: http://www.senedd.tv/en/12309?startPos=2695&l=en)
- Welsh medium education: I raised with the Minister for Education and the Welsh Language how there isn't equity of access to Welsh medium education for the children and young people of Ynysybwl, Glyncoch, CoedyCwm and once Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Pont Sion Norton, Cilfynydd. The Minister agreed to meet to discuss concerns of parents, and I will be inviting campaigners to join the meeting. (Link here: http://www.senedd.tv/en/12309?startPos=5442&l=en)
- Coal tips: I welcomed the commitment in the Programme of Government to safeguard coal tips through the introduction of legislation. It was an opportunity to raise the concerns of the residents of Ynyshir, where there are plans to build wind turbines on top of old tips, which would create further risks of flooding. I will be following up with this, and supporting local campaigners. (Link here: http://www.senedd.tv/en/12316?startPos=9301&l=en)
- Sport: During a debate on investing in sport, I was able to make the case for greater investment in grassroots sports and opportunities for everyone to participate in sports. Unfortunately the Labour Government did not agree to the amendments I tabled, but I will continue to fight for the investment needed.(Link here: http://www.senedd.tv/en/12309?startPos=9051&l=en)
If there's an issue you'd like to raise with me, please get in touch via [email protected]
Do you like this post?
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withSign in with Facebook Sign in with Twitter